* Leonardo's German mother Irmalin, experienced a sudden kick from her unborn child while looking at a Leonardo DaVinci painting. This was the inspiration for Leo's name.
* In the year following his birth, his mother & his Italian father George (a comic book dealer), were divorced.
* During his youth Leonardo grew up in "Echo Park" in Los Angeles. At that time "Echo Park" had a reputation for being a crime & drug ridden area.
* At age 5, Leo appeared on his favorite TV show, "Romper Room," & was nearly thrown off for misbehaving. At age 10, Leo's agent advised him to change his name to Lenny Williams. Leo did not follow his advice.
* Leo once said that he wanted to be an actor so he could be cool & all the girls would see him.
* After a string of commercials (his first being a milk advertisement), educational films ("Mickey's Safety Club"), a debut film role in Critters 3 (1991), & a part in the TV series "Growing Pains", he got his big break in "This Boy's Life" (1993), co-starring with Robert De Niro and Ellen Barkin.
* In 1993 he was nominated for an Oscar & Golden Globe for "What's Eating Gilbert Grape".
* It is reported that in 1995 Leo turned down the part of Robin in "Batman Forever". That role instead went to Chris O'Donnell.
* More challenging parts for Leo followed with "The Basketball Diaries" (1995), "Total Eclipse" (1995) & the lead in the new hip version of "Romeo + Juliet" (1996).
* Leo reached superstar status when he was cast as Jack Dawson in the mega-hit "Titanic" (1997). The film is currently the highest grossing film ever & equal with "Ben-Hur" (1959) for the most Academy Awards.
* In October 1997, Leo ranked 75th in Empire magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time".
* In 97 & 98 Leo was chosen by "People" as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World.
* In 2003 Leo will star in Baz Luhrmann's epic "Alexander The Great".
* The Basketball Diaries (1995) $1,000,000
* Titanic (1997) $2,500,000
* The Beach (2000) $20,000,000
* Gangs of New York (2002) $10,000,000 + Gross Points
* Catch Me If You Can (2002) $20,000,000
* Alexander The Great (2003) $20,000,000